Week 6: The Hobbit

This week we discussed the Heroic Journey as laid out by Joseph Campbell. There is no better author to talk about the heroic journey than J.R.R. Tolkein. His stories are long and detailed. Most famous for his work on The Lord of the Rings series. These three books are absolutely phenomenal and could very easily be detailed on this blog. However, I will not do that because I have only read the first book and do not have any current plans to continue reading the series. I have nothing against the book, in fact I really enjoyed the book, I just do not have the time to read them.

Instead I will talk about The Hobbit. Tolkein's story takes place in the same universe as the aforementioned Lord of the Rings, but tells a new tale of the fantasy world. I would give a summary of the novel but I assume most people have had the opportunity to read the book. I will give my opinions of the novel. The novel is unbelievably crafted. It follows the same sort of pattern that Tolkein's other series follows. That is a direct product of the heroic journey. I appreciated his use of the journey as we follow the protagonist throughout The Hobbit.

Overall, The Hobbit is fun and exciting journey that the film did not properly portray. The film adaption was not nearly as fun as the book due to the characters and events who were left out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One: Frankenstein

Week Two: Interview With a Vampire

Assessment: Bloodchild