Week 5: Redlands

This week's topic is witches. Witches are unique creatures because they can not be classified as horror or fantasy. So the question then becomes what do we classify witches. There is no simple situation because witches have been portrayed a lot of different ways. At times we have seen them as these ugly old ladies that are truly evil. Other times they are these young and beautiful ladies who have good intentions. Finally we see them as these young girls who have pure minds. The classification as a witch into a certain genre is truly one of the more difficult tasks as for an expert of literature. I am by no means an expert but it is my opinion that this debate may never be over. They are arguments on both sides of the case.

For this week's reading I chose to look at the comic book series Redlands. The series was written by Ringling alumni Jordan Bellaire and speaks about witches in the city of Miami. The whole topic opens up a whole new set of questions. The most prominent question coming out of the series is how do you know if someone is a witch. The city of Miami is not exactly known for being associated with the topic of witches. It gives me the idea that the could be literally anywhere in the world. I could walk out of my dorm room and the people across from me could be witches. That is the idea that I got of off the set of comics. The whole idea is interesting because the fact that they could be anywhere is very interesting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One: Frankenstein

Week Two: Interview With a Vampire

Assessment: Bloodchild